Privacy Statement

What information we hold and what we do with it

The Trustee keeps information about you on paper and on computer systems so that it can administer the Scheme and pay benefits. The Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act) says the Trustee, as the data controller, must process this information fairly and lawfully. It must keep it safe and only hold it for as long as necessary.(Given the nature of pension schemes, the Trustee may be required to keep some of your personal information for the rest of your life.) It is not allowed to disclose information about you to outside bodies except:
• when required for contractual or legal reasons or other specifically identified purposes, or
• where you have given your consent.

Where permitted by the Act, the Trustee may pass your data to certain organisations, including:
• your current, past or future employer,
• the Life Assurance Trustee,
• the Scheme’s professional advisers or to third parties who administer the Scheme,
• companies with whom the UK HSBC Group is negotiating a commercial agreement,
• regulatory organisations such as The Pensions Regulator.

Most of the data processed by the Trustee will be personal data (ie from which you can be identified). However, the Act classifies details such as health, racial or ethnic origin,religious or other similar beliefs, sexual orientation and political affiliations as ‘sensitive personal data’. This information cannot be processed or passed to a third party without your explicit consent except where the Act allows it to be.

You’ve got the right to see personal information that is held about you, or to object to the processing of your personal data. However, this could impact on the payment of your benefits or your participation in the Scheme. Please contact the HSBC Administration Team if you want to see your data or if you think that any information isn’t right.You’ll have to pay a small fee to see your personal data. If you have a complaint in relation to the processing of your personal data,that the Trustee is unable to rectify,you are entitled to take this to the information Commissioner’s office.